For fun, I thought I’d share my top 12 favorite quotes on adoption. Some are not specifically about adoption, but certainly can be thought of in that context. I’ll start with my most favorite:
- By choice, we have become a family, first in our hearts, and finally in breath and being.
Great expectations are good; great experiences are better.
- Do you want to do something beautiful for God? There is a person who needs you. This is your chance.
- He who can reach a child’s heart can reach the worlds heart.advertisementRudyard Kipling
- To give them what I never had heals me. Some days I look at them and almost start to cry. I think, How can I love them more than I did the day before? But it keeps growing.
- I’m only one. But still, I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
– Edward Everett Hale
- Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
- It has been said that adoption is more like a marriage than a birth: two (or more) individuals, each with their own unique mix of needs, patterns, and genetic history, coming together with love, hope, and commitment for a joint future. You become a family not because you share the same genes, but because you share love for each other.
- “We should not be asking who this child belongs to, but who belongs to this child.”
- Jim Gritter
- Every child begins the world again….
~Henry David Thoreau
- Children are one third of our population and all of our future.
~Select Panel for the Promotion of Child Health, 1981
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
- My adoption was treated as a celebration. (Wow, shouldn’t every one of our children be able to say the same?!?)
And to finish, an invitation:
Let go of your ambitions.
Come, let’s change the world.
-St. Francis Xavier