For fun, I thought Iâ€™d share my top 12 favorite quotes on adoption. Some are not specifically about adoption, but certainly can be thought of in that context. Iâ€™ll start with my most favorite:
- By choice, we have become a family, first in our hearts, and finally in breath and being.
Great expectations are good; great experiences are better.
- Do you want to do something beautiful for God? There is a person who needs you. This is your chance.
- He who can reach a child’s heart can reach the worlds heart.advertisementRudyard Kipling
- To give them what I never had heals me. Some days I look at them and almost start to cry. I think, How can I love them more than I did the day before? But it keeps growing.
- I’m only one. But still, I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that I can do.
– Edward Everett Hale
- Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
- It has been said that adoption is more like a marriage than a birth: two (or more) individuals, each with their own unique mix of needs, patterns, and genetic history, coming together with love, hope, and commitment for a joint future. You become a family not because you share the same genes, but because you share love for each other.
- “We should not be asking who this child belongs to, but who belongs to this child.”
- Jim Gritter
- Every child begins the world again….
~Henry David Thoreau
- Children are one third of our population and all of our future.
~Select Panel for the Promotion of Child Health, 1981
Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.
- My adoption was treated as a celebration. (Wow, shouldnâ€™t every one of our children be able to say the same?!?)
And to finish, an invitation:
Let go of your ambitions.
Come, letâ€™s change the world.
-St. Francis Xavier